Sunday, June 7, 2009

Domo-kun, Where do the Months go?

Time flies when you're working on a comic. I look up from my desk and two months have passed. Yeesh! I guess drawing and coloring comics have relativistic effects. Time slows down for the artist, but continues at its normal pace for the rest of the world. If I could only apply this time distortion to my bills. Paying rent once every 3 months would solve many of my problems.

The comic job I'm referring to above, was a couple of chapters for Tokyopop's Domo manga . Since the company posted quite a few of the pages online, I'll just repost their link here. Please note that the first page in the set-- what I'm guessing is the cover-- was done by another artist working on the project.
http://www.tokyopop.com/Domomanga/tp_article/2759413.html

Lindsay Cibos drew the pages and I provided coloring and effects work. Having never done a color comic before, the Domo manga was a good opportunity to pick up skills along with a paycheck. I'm happy with how everything turned out. I hope that the pages look as good in print as they did in our homemade color proofs.

Looking over the blog, I see that I never posted the final art to the Box Jelly fish image. Another victim of comic relativity. Here's the finished image.


After completing the Domo project, it was back to work on portfolio pieces. I hope to land some work doing either editorial illustration or something else within publishing... Book covers would be nice.

Here's the string of four images I'll be working on over the next couple of weeks. The first one-- about people fetishizing technology-- is finished and colored. I'll post on the rest as they're completed. For now though, here's the sketches to look over.



No comments:

Post a Comment